Most people think Success in college and life (in general) is a game of luck or a coincidence – something you just stumble upon. It is not. To be successful at anything at all, you must be ready to walk and work the path. There are principles guiding virtually every phase of our lives – best practices that successful men and women have documented over time. Bridge House College isn’t an exception.
First, to be admitted to Bridge House College, you must have successfully made the cut off mark from the Entrance Examination and interview. Congratulations and welcome on the iconic Bridge of Success!
In this piece, i have put together below, 20 Key Success Tips shared on the Bridge House College Twitter Page that’ll assist you to make the best of your stay at Bridge House College or any other College and beyond.
1. The key to being a successful student at Bridge House College (as it is anywhere else) is Organization: Starting off with any major task or project, one important skill you will need, is your Organisational Skill. How organised are you? Do you have a plan? You need a master plan/Road Map and you can’t afford to derail.
2. Have a CLEAR GOAL in mind: Make sure it’s big enough to scare you; then grow into the person that can achieve it. You must figure out exactly what you would like to achieve in College. Where would you like to go to from here? Make up your mind not to settle for anything less.
3. Start with a positive mindset: Your mind is one of the most powerful part of you. When you fill it with positive thinking and optimism, there’s no limit to the level of success you can achieve. No doubt, your college year will be one of your most challenging year but you’ll sure thrive if you stay focused and positive.
4. Resume open minded – be ready to learn, relearn and unlearn the principles guiding your life:
Alvin Toffler once said: “The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read & write but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn”. Life is in phases. There’s an unrevealed segment/stages everyone goes through. At the different stages, you come to realize that the “rules” seems to be changing. You must be opened and willing to learn the rules of life as you grow and evolve. This is the ultimate key to survive in our swiftly changing world.
5. Settle down in time: Like Bolt, You must hit the ground sprinting. Your programme at Bridge House will end faster than you can say “Jack Robinson”. Make sure you have submitted all necessary documents as required upon resumption and start reading from day one!
6. Start discussing Universities, requirements etc with your Placement Officer as soon as you resume: The next stage after your Sixth Form Education is University; this is the end goal from your one or two years toil in college. You must have this goal at the fore front of your mind as you resume. Start your university research on time so you know exactly what you’re up for. Find out the grades requirement for your course of interest, tuition, scholarship opportunites, campus life etc.
7. Pick your subjects wisely: It’s not good enough to choose subjects because it’s the same combination your High School friend is taking. The subjects you take in college is directly connected with your intended career path. It is a deciding factor for the course you can apply for in the university. Discuss with your parents and a Career Counselor before making your final choice. At Bridge House College, you will have up to 3 weeks to finalize your Course Registration. Confused? Seek help!
8. Don’t be afraid to seek help or ask questions: Asking questions is one of the guaranteed secrets for achieving success in life. You are at a critical stage in life where you will undoubtedly be confused about a number of things. Do not row the boat alone. Seek help. Talk to someone older; talk to your teachers, get clarification from an adult or experts. By asking questions, you save yourself from making the same mistakes others have made. All you have ahead of you is a smooth path to your ultimate goal.
9. You’re expected to spend 35hrs a week for study at Bridge House: This is the minimum number of hours you must spend on the average per week learning in College or University. Although, you will have classes only for about 15hrs per week, it is expected that you complement your tutor-led learning with independent study. This is where your Time Management skills come to play. Make a personalised reading time table and stick to it.
10. Choose your friends wisely: “You are your company; your company is you.” The importance of choosing the right friends especially in college, can not be over-emphasized. Make sure you keep the right company that’ll influence you positively. Spend time with people who share similar goals and vision with you. By doing this, you can be rest assured that you are on your way to becoming a Straight A student!
Hopefully, these tips will help you achieve your set goals as you begin your journey through Sixth Form and beyond. Please feel free to share comments, review/opinion on the subject below.
See the complete list on Bridge House’s twitter page on the #Hashtag
Youth Development Enthusiast and Columnist,
Bridge House The Shield Newsletter