Shopping for a quality education provider can be a daunting task either locally or abroad. There are so many concerns and reservations that will definitely cross the mind of all parties involved: reputation, affordability, recognition, individual status, institution profile, Regulating Authorities, mental well being, Extracurriculars, Proximity, learning methodology, course overview, recommendations from alumni. All these mentions cannot be exhausted in taking a decision.
Institutions are aware of the aforementioned challenges or dilemmas and that is why at Bridge House College, we organize annual university fairs a to help Parents and Students meet with Universities and make an informed decision.
To guide you at such events, there are suggested questions that have been made available as tips when approaching educational providers. They are as follows:
- What is the cost of attendance i.e. tuition, housing and upkeep? This will guide your financial budget and payment plan.
- Is there any contextual (additional) entry requirement for International Students?
- What is the proximity of the campus (lecture hall) to the residence?
- Does the university have multiple campuses? If yes, ask for insight about their accessibility, and if separate applications are needed for these campuses.
- What is the catering plan at the accommodation halls?
- What is the university’s unique selling point?
- Are there scholarships available for new and current students? (some universities offer sibling scholarships)
- What is the strength of the faculty where your chosen course of interest will be offered?
- How does the university carry out its teaching and learning assessments? Do not assume they only use examinations, some universities do not conduct examinations until the final year, and some use more of seminar presentation and course work or a mix.
- Is the desired course validated/accredited or still under review by international or professional bodies?
- What is the university’s approach to supporting students for work placement /co-op program?
Note: Ask for the duration of the course especially for courses like Architecture, Nursing, Pharmacy and Medicine etc.
- How does the student get medical support, is there medical insurance and what does it cover?
- Will additional medical insurance be needed besides the one paid for during visa application, where applicable?
- When are the application deadlines? Note: For approaching university application and placement deadlines Seek advice from BHC Counselling Team.
- How accessible is the student support service, especially for international students?
- How does the university support international student visa applications? Note: Bridge House College has a dedicated counselling unit that supports visa applications.
- What approach is the university deploying to flattening any learning curve that may arise?
- What COVID-19 protocols are in place at your University?
In the wake of COVID-19, some countries imposed travel restrictions which affected physical school resumption. Click the following link to read our previous article “HOW COVID-19 WILL AFFECT UNIVERSITY ADMISSION“.